Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Vine House

I love writing down my thoughts and ideas yet it's taken me FOREVER since I established this blog to actually write anything down! I hate when I do that.

But, I am really going to try to at the very least write once a week or so, even if it's just pictures or an article that impacted me. And I am opening up this blog for all to see. I had another on-line journal that only a couple of friends knew about but this one will be "broad casted" so to speak. So, I warn y'all that this is merely my thoughts and reflections. Most likely you won't agree with me always, if ever and that's okay. If you feel the need to tell me that I'm wrong then please do so in a civilized, non-combatant way. I love to dialogue about things, I do NOT enjoy fighting.

Now, on to more important things. I am 5 months into living on the west-side of Modesto. Crazy. Sometimes it feels like I've been in this house for a very long time and other days it feels like I just left Fresno. Those are the days when I miss the Pink House, my amazing community of friends who loved so well. But I know God really does want me here on Vine Street for a purpose and He has slowly revealed some of those reasons even in the last 5 months.

I've been going down to the Vine House for the past few weeks. The Vine House is something completely separate to my house. The Vine House is run by Cheryl Van Horn, a great lady-of-God. She has a group of volunteers who comes twice a week, Mondays and Wednesdays to feed folks from around 9-ish to 11. They offer snack foods, cookies, pastries and coffee. I haven't really gotten to know any of the frequent participants but I have fallen in love with the volunteers. They have become family and probably don't even know it. They are all very sweet. Victoria is one of my favorites. She is a cancer survivor and used to be a drop-in at the Vine House and is now giving back by serving there. Very sweet lady. There's a couple other ladies who are sweet and fun. Then there's Bob who lives in the back of the Vine House. He's an older gentleman and has the most amazing spirit about him. He calls me all sorts of cute nick names and reminds me that I'm a star. He's definitely grandpa material. And Harvey is a preacher! That man can't help but get excited while praying. But Don is one of my favorites. He's a blind man and LOVES to help whenever he can but the best part of who he is (that I know) is when he talks with Jesus. He starts off every prayer by saying, "Hey God" and ends by saying "See you later." I've never heard someone with such child-like faith pray and every time it seems to touch me. His prayers are always shorter than everyone else's and he normally stops just short of crying as he prays for the folks that came to eat that day but I truly believe he's one of those people who has it down on the prayer thing.

I've really been blessed by serving at the Vine House. It's funny when you go to serve and feel overwhelmed by God's love. Good stuff.

Shalom

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Bethany... how are you?
Come visit my spot... I need some more followers too! I'm on every day, so I can help keep you accountable!

Candy said...

Ix-nay on my last omment-cay- my answer is right here, in which case, yeah, it *has* been a long time between making this blog and deciding to actually use it! (Although I'm glad you used your LJ in between then).

And hey, "broadcast" is one word, right? And it's already in the past tense? Firefox is telling me that's cool . . .

I love reading/hearing you talk about how these people inspire you and fill your heart with love and God and all that jazz. Don sounds awesome- I've always wondered why people have to be so formal in prayer (or even, for that matter, why they feel they have to speak them- for a while I used to write diary-style "letter" prayers on my computer).

I'm glad you're diggin' the Vine House! (Which, by the way, I'm assuming references something Biblical, because that's what it sounds like- educate the Candinator!).

And for my last note, where are the daily pictures of you? When does this project start?

Bethany said...

Okay, the bad thing about blog spot is that they don't email me to let me know that people have commented on my post :( Do you know if I can change that??

And I think my comp told me broadcast was 2 different words and that's why I changed it.

And yes, the Vine House is named for biblical reasons. God says He is the vine and we are the branches. He's the source and He works through us as the "branches."

And my project would start January 1st. I want to do it for the year 2010.