Friday, November 6, 2009

South 9th Street....

This morning I joined some YWAMers (Youth With A Mission folks) and hung out on 9th street; the "bad" part of town. Chris, Jimmy, Arlie, Jimmy and Bob (I think that's all their names) go out on 9th street every Friday, along with hot water for coffee, hot chocolate or a cadillac; coffee with hot chocolate and lots and lots of breads and pastries. They hang out there until people stop coming by for something to drink or eat. They've made some really great relationships and it's been the catalyst for deeper relationships throughout the week. I know Chris from a couple of meetings that we've been at together. I've wanted to join them on a Fri. for awhile but I ended up being at a YPN meeting on Thurs. and he was there so he ended up coming by and picking me up. I really enjoyed it.

And it's funny when God knows what you need to hear. I was able to hear the whole back story on Chris' journey to Modesto (the long story long) and it was really exciting to hear about his church here in Modesto, New Hope. Sometimes I feel as if Modesto is this God forsaken place where Christians just aren't stepping up to the plate but then I hear about churches like Chris' and it gives me such hope! And reminds me to continue to pray and challenge my own church about our role in our community. Chris' church just moved in near the Airport District and a church of only 40 people have decided that they want to be a community-based church. That doesn't mean that the whole community MUST go to that church, but that they are willing to be used by the community, even if that means someone is going to have a big birthday party and they need the use of the fellowship, stuff like that. I LOVE hearing how God is working in such powerful ways here in Modesto and it seriously pumped me up and encouraged me in ways that I'm sure Chris didn't realize while he was telling me his story.

I am excited about continuing to join them on 9th street and I am also really excited to get to know Chris and the other fellas and learn from them. I miss my community in Fresno and the way I was able to relate to them, but slowly I think God is introducing me to people here in Modesto who have the same vision for the city and have God's heart for justice and the poor. I pray that God continues these relationships and that soon I would have the kind of community and support that I've missed since I've been here. Exciting stuff.

2 comments:

Candy said...

You got to start giving more specific details now that you're in Modesto and not Fresno, girlie . . . I mean, where on South 9th Street? I feel like that alone constitutes a large stretch of area, so give us some landmarks! Is it at a certain place? or just set up shop somewhere outside? Is it mobile, just moving down the street?

Also, "Hot chocolate or a cadillac"? Huh? What's a cadillac, since I don't think you're using it to refer to a car?

YPN = Young People Now? That's what Google grudgingly tells me. (Also potentially a point of interest = one of the drop-down searches on Google for "Youth With A Mission" is "Youth With A Mission cult"! Suffice to say, I'm sure the peeps you're working with are cool, but it's very interesting reading about the controversies!).

New Hope sounds pretty cool, as does Chris (you say he journeyed here; where'd he come from?). Although I suppose I'm not quite clear on the church part- how do they send out the message to non-churchgoing people that they're a community church available for use? Or am I misinterpreting what community church means- is it more along the lines of people from other churches can use it without having to be part of the church?

I'm glad you're feeling more excited about the urban ministry prospects here!

Chris Whitler said...

Hi Candy...this is Chris from YWAM Modesto...

South 9th St. is where you land when you fall in Modesto. Old motels that used to be actual motels but now are places where the handicapped, the recently evicted or emancipated, the addicted, the crazy, the prostitutes and the prodigals live. There are also trailer parks with families and shut ins and there is access to the river under the 9th St. bridge where trails take you to camp sites hidden all along the banks. Google maps caught us HERE We're there on the left with the two green trucks. That's the "cafe".

As for Google's drop down menu...if you type in "I like to..." this shows up first..."i like to tape my thumbs to my hands to see what it would be like to be a dinosaur".

I'll admit that YWAM has had it's issues (I've experienced them!) and from my 19 years in the mission most of the time it's because YWAM's strength can also be it's weakness...releasing young people. It can be beautiful and not so great. The mission has grown and changed from the earlier messier days. And we're still growing and changing.

As for my journey...Bethany's right...it's too long for a blog comment section...but you can read HERE a thing that needs serious updating.

As for New Hope...we have just intentionally moved locations from out on the edge of town into a city neighborhood. The idea is to move closer to the concept of "parish" as we are in the heart of a community...houses across the street, school down the way. We want to serve this community however we can. Right now, it's WAY word of mouth and we may never go farther than this. We don't know but we're hanging in there...willing to find out what it means to be a neighborhood church...investing in initiatives, supporting the school, family support, recovery programs, etc. We're excited to see how God will lead us.